Friday, November 7, 2014

A new year.

The beginning of November feels like a new year for me.

A lot has happened in my life since I have been writing steadily.

We moved. We moved into a bigger house, and the space for my computer moved to a central spot. More exposed to the entire house. And writing, even these dumb blog posts, seems like such a private and personal act, it felt so odd to have my space be in the middle of my family's living space. And so, I stopped writing. The time was never right, or the desk became a landing zone for mail that built up and built up, or. Or I had so many excuses at the ready.

A very dear friend moved back to the area. A very dear friend who means a great deal to me.
I am not ready to write about that.

Spring came. It was marvelous and rocky and harrowing and fun and crazy-making. So, normal.
Summer was good. And marvelous and rocky and harrowing and fun and crazy-making. Also normal.
And then my cat was injured. And never fully recovered. He died in my arms, a Monday night at the end of August. He wasted away to nothing but skin and bones. As he rattled out his last breath, I was in the arms of someone who cared for me. In a house with a solid roof and food and heat and toys and computers and clothes. I can count all of these things, yes. I am lucky. I am so lucky. And my darling little cat still wasted away to nothing but fur and skin and bones and I did not do enough, spend enough money to save his short life.

That night the three of us buried him in the back yard. Nick managed to find a place clear enough for a little grave, and by torchlight, I let go of my little black cat for the last time. Limp and dead in my arms, and I did not want to believe that he was really gone. I wanted to think that he was just asleep, and have it be true. I wanted him to wake up when I shoveled the first bit of dirt and sand on top of him, and be angry with us and go sulk on the fence.

Wanting a thing will not make it so. No matter how hard or fiercely you want a thing.

The three of us sat around the fire pit, and mourned the cat's death. Comfort through beer and fire and a certain kind of closeness that only happens around a small fire at night.

A week later, I found out about a friend's passing. The following week, a family member went into hospice.

I cried a little for my cat. I cried a lot for my friend. I did not cry for my grandfather.

I broke. I broke into many little pieces, over and over again. I could not stop breaking, and I could barely find enough hands to hold all the pieces. So, I gathered them up as best I could, and I contracted. Into my shell, me and my pieces. I hid them away, hid myself away, and I think that the wounds have scabbed over now. I am not healed, I am not better. But my armor is returning.

Happy new year.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy you are coming back out into the world where, clearly, you have friends with hands to help you with the piece-collecting. There is sun out here, even if hidden by clouds sometimes.

    ReplyDelete