Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Candy Crush is killing my creativity.

I get sucked into Candy Crush, that addictive little match-three Facebook game. Well, Candy Crush, and the rest of the internet. I get home, feed the Monster, (usually) clean the dishes (and if I'm really gung-ho, some other chores as well, but only once in a great while, I will readily admit), and do bedtime stuff--bathing, teeth brushing, hair braiding--with the Monster. Then the real fun of Let's See How Many Books Mom Can Read and Still Maintain Patience and Sanity Before the Monster Falls Asleep begins. Seriously, I've been reading for an hour before the little terror darling child will go to sleep. When I finally emerge, the glorious victor, there is nothing I want more than flashing lights and rewarding little melodies to lull me into a sense of accomplishment, all while enjoying the singular joy of only being concerned about how I am going to wipe out that stupid chocolate that's taking up all my moves, dammit.

I would love nothing more than to move on with all these projects in my head. I have some really neat ideas, but my only problem is that of time. Boo hoo, everyone has a time crunch, everyone has responsibilities, everyone has to negotiate limited time and limited resources--is what I think when I start feeling down about it. Which, if anyone out there has dealt with depression just a teeny tiny bit, knows that that's the kind of thinking that really doesn't help to motivate. At least, not in my case. Boo hoo, I'm not a special case, I might as well give up. And then I click the little pink 'try again' button, and the board fills up with those cute little candies.

I would love to be productive in my creativity. I would love to add more to my 'done' stack. And this is a running theme in this blog. My struggles with time, creative space, mothering, and basically, living as an adult. WAH.

I think I just need to go on a Candy Crush diet. Not cold turkey, mind you. Sometimes mama needs a little sugar. Er, aesthetically pleasing, sugar-themed match three game, that is. But I think I need to make my limited time on the internet more limited, and definitely more meaningful. Plenty of people are consuming awesome content--someone else can take my place there. I need to spend more time creating general awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment